MathCEP offers a variety of enrichment and outreach programs for students throughout the academic year and summer.
The University of Minnesota Talented Youth in Mathematics Program (UMTYMP) is one of the nation's premier accelerated mathematics programs for students in middle school and high school. See our UMTYMP page for more details.
MathCEP offers enrichment programs that provide students with opportunities to learn and enjoy mathematics. The primary objective is to offer innovative activities focused on a variety of mathematics topics that take students further than a standard school curriculum.
Programs introduce students to the mathematics community and the role the subject plays in society. Students participate in interactive activities, conduct hands-on experiments, and work closely with outstanding instructors and University student mentors.
Although students are challenged intellectually during these activities, the focus is on exploration, allowing students to spend time with others who are interested in math and science and who enjoy challenges.
Academic Year Programs for 2019-2020
- Saturday Morning Enrichment Programs. Learn about topics ranging from infinity to origami! Meets four times throughout the year. For students in grades 5-7.
Summer 2020 Programs
- IMA-MathCEP Math Modeling Camp for High School Students. Use math to analyze real-world situations. For students currently in high school who will have completed a calculus course by June 2020.
- Due to the challenges created by the spread of COVID-19, we don't yet know if we will be able to offer the Math Modeling Camp in 2020. We may be able to host an online version of the program, but we are still in discussions about what we will be able to offer.
- Please fill out this Google Form to get updates about the Math Modeling Camp as soon as we have them.
Due to the challenges created by the spread of COVID-19, we will not be able to offer any other summer camps in 2020. However, we hope to offer the following programs in summer 2021:
- <run>: \the\world Machine Learning Day Camp, run by MCFAM. Learn how to analyze data from the financial sector, social media, and other sources. For students entering 11th or 12th grade.
- UMTYMP Summer Camp. Instead of acceleration, our summer camp for UMTYMP student focuses on enrichment, and gives our instructors a chance to share their favorite mathematics with UMTYMP students. For UMTYMP students who are completing Algebra or Math Analysis this year; see the courses' Moodle pages for more information.